Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Back to the real world

And we're back!! It's always sad to see a vacation come to an end, especially when you feel like it goes by like a blink.  Gone are the days of lazing around on the beach, reading a novel, watching the locals, listening to the steady sound of the ocean and the breeze floating through the palm trees....ahh - I miss it already and I've been home less than 24 hours.  Such is life I guess.

But luckily, this is where my handy little blog comes in.  I get to relive my vacation and let you all in on how amazing Isla de Holbox is :)

We stayed on an island off the north coast of the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico - Holbox Island.  J is credited for this little finding.  It's a place that is fairly new to the tourism scene, especially compared to other places in Mexico like Cancun and Cozumel.  This little island is a gem in the Gulf, let me tell you.  One of the things that we had expected from the time we booked it was that it was small.  Sure enough, the population of the island is about 1,100.  The main mode of transportation on the island is via golf cart.  Yes, even the taxi golf carts were yellow and had the little taxi light on top.

Now to the good parts - the pictures!!!  I might have taken over 400 pictures from this trip, but I'll only pick out the best for you to see.  There were so many picturesque sights while on our trip that this could prove to be a difficult task for me :)

Day 1 - Travel to Holbox

We left super early from Tulsa and connected through Atlanta.  This was our first experience with Delta and we were pleasantly surprised.  There were some kids behind us that basically screamed the entire flight, so when we finally landed in Cancun, we were even more excited than usual!!


We caught a transfer shuttle to the little town where the ferry would take us to the island and drove for a little less than 2 hours.  We got to the little ferry town and were starving since it was about 3:00 and we hadn't had lunch (and breakfast was about 4:30 am).

We found this cute little place for lunch.  There was definitely a communication barrier as we didn't speak much Spanish and they barely spoke any English.  Either way, Coca-Cola works in any language :)


So this language barrier got me an interesting lunch.....J knew "pollo" meant chicken, so that was a safe bet and what he ordered.  I remembered that "pescado" meant fish, and we were by the ocean, and I just figured the fish would be nice and fresh.  I was NOT expecting an ENTIRE fish (head and tail included) to show up fried on my plate.  I was shocked to say the least.  However, I was starving and thought I'd be adventurous and tried it.  Surprisingly, it was pretty good :) (If you have a sensitive stomach, you might not want to look at the picture.  Believe me, it was hard to eat it.  I made J eat the half closest to the head haha!!)


Once lunch was finished, we caught the ferry to the island.  It was about a 25 minute ride and we met the taxi on the island.  It had been raining, so all the roads were huge puddles that could have passed for ponds here.  I assume that because of the amount of rain and potential rough terrain, all of the golf cart taxis were outfitted with ATV tires - not something we're necessarily used to here in the states haha!



And now what you've all been waiting for - the pictures from our bed and breakfast!!  We absolutely loved Palapas del Sol (which is rated the number one bed and breakfast on the island by people at Trip Advisor).  And rated number 1 for a good reason.  The service during our stay was wonderful, the food spectacular, and the views were incredible.  If you stayed here for any length of time and were not relaxed by the time you left, you did something wrong!!

Our balcony :)




I'll leave today's post here....you'll have to come back again for more pictures ;)

You can read more about our Holbox Vacation here:






No comments:

Post a Comment